Deadline for submission of candidacies : May 31, 2013
Scholarship value : $5,000
Offered in memory of Mr. Jean-Guy Larocque who dedicated his engineering career to the development of materials engineering (concrete, asphalt, aggregate), geological, geoenvironmental engineering, management and pavement assessment, this scholarship aims to stimulate the development of post-graduate engineers (Master’s degree) in these fields of activity.
Place of study :
Université Laval, Université de Sherbrooke, McGill University, École Polytechnique, École de technologie supérieure and UQAC.
Level : Graduate studies (Master’s degree)
Field of studies : Civil Engineering or Geological engineering
Eligibility requirements :
To be eligible, candidates must be registered or accepted as full-time students in graduate studies, in either civil or geological engineering programs. Candidates must also be permanent residents of Canada.
Selection criteria :
A single scholarship is awarded annually for all selected universities. Each university will proceed with the pre-selection of three candidates. From these candidates, the jury then selects 5 finalists. The winner will be chosen after an individual meeting with all five finalists, in front of a jury of specialists in the targeted fields of activity. The selection committee has the right not to award the scholarship.
Candidates must submit an application that includes :
- Name of establishment where the candidate will follow his superior studies, with a certificate of enrollment or official acceptance notice.
- Name of Research Director who will supervise the project.
- Description of project in relation to one of the following fields: materials engineering (concrete, asphalt, aggregate), geological, environmental engineering, or management and pavement assessment.
- An official transcript of grades for the all superior studies.
- Two letters of recommendations by teachers of research directors who have followed the candidates’ progress throughout his studies.
- A current and updated resume.
The selection will be completed based on the following criteria :
- A marked interest in the fields of materials engineering (concrete, asphalt, aggregate), geological, geoenvironmental engineering, or management and pavement assessment.
- Student record in the pertinent fields of study.
- Relevance of research project.
- Personality and leadership qualities.
Other information :
- Candidates for the 2013 scholarship must be registered for summer 2013, fall 2013 or winter 2014 sessions.
- Candidates have no obligations towards the scholarship donor.
- Past recipients cannot submit their candidacy a second time.
- The scholarship will be awarded between October 15, and November 30, 2013.
Miss Stéphanie Blanchard, accompanied by her thesis supervisor Mr. Richard Gagné, ing., Ph. D., from the Université de Sherbrooke, by Mr. Serge Meilleur, ing., M. A. Sc. and by Mr. Marc Chatillon, ing., M. Eng., from Qualitas.
Miss Joëlle Perreault-Chabot accompanied by Mr. Serge Meilleur, ing., M. A. Sc., and Mr. Marc Chatillon, ing., M. Eng., from Qualitas, and by her thesis supervisor, Mr. Marc Jolin, ing., Ph. D., from the Université Laval.
Mr. Jean-Simon Brault. His thesis director was Mr. Jean-Marie Konrad, ing., Ph. D., from Université Laval.
Left to right: Mr. Guy Gendron, ing. (Dean, Faculty of Sciences and Engineering), Mr. Ronald Blackburn, Managing Director of Qualitas, Quebec office, Mr. Pierre-Luc Fecteau, scholarship recipient and Mr. Denis Brière (Rector, Université Laval).