Client: Go-ahead (southern railway)
SNC-Lavalin was awarded a contract to provide a tailored package of support to Go-Ahead for their East Grinstead Station Reconstruction Project. Workstreams included: Project Management, Contract Management and Safety/CDM Management.
SNC-Lavalin supplied highly experienced civil construction experts who acted as ‘translator’ between the contractor and client to ensure practical resolution of site issues were dealt with. We provided a collaborative ethos which brought together contractor, client, and SNC-Lavalin as a project team working towards the same goal. With this approach SNC-Lavalin successfully and safely delivered a new station on time and to budget despite encountering significant challenges which were overcome along the way. During the project the key benefit to the client was access to a Project Director and Project Manager with experience of construction in an operational rail environment, and a CDM coordinator and health and safety manager.
During 2012 SNC-Lavalin was involved in the following scope of work:
- Construction of new modular station concourse building, approach, car park and demolition of existing building.
- Coordinated various parties including architect, designer and contractor.
- Forging a close working relationship with all parties to rework design to overcome constructability issues.
- Management of the principal contractor, including monitoring of progress on site, and commercial oversight.
- Provision of specialist civil, structural, mechanical and electrical design / construction advice, as required.
- Ensuring compliance with Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007.