SNC-Lavalin (TSX: SNC) is pleased to announce that in conjunction with Petroleum Development Oman (PDO), it has launched its new Training Centre in Muscat, bringing its global project commissioning and completions experience to the benefit of both Omani trainees, and projects within Oman. The launch was combined with the formal opening of the new office in Muscat, where its wholly owned subsidiary, Kentz Overseas Company WLL, will execute commissioning work for PDO under a five-year framework agreement signed in 2017.
Benefits to Oman:
- SNC-Lavalin’s training academy in Muscat gives access to international experience to Oman and to the benefit of Omanis, particularly in the highly skilled area of project commissioning
- The commissioning and completions stages of large projects are crucial to their success and long-term ability to serve the people of Oman. By bringing these skills into the country, it provides not only highly skilled jobs locally, but ensures that Oman retains the ability to undertake these key processes with well-trained Omanis in the future.
- SNC-Lavalin has an active presence in Oman and is committed to the country. In 2017, SNC-Lavalin has been awarded both:
- A five-year commissioning framework agreement by Petroleum Development Oman (PDO) [link to release
- And an EPC contract by Salalah Methanol Company LLC for the construction of an ammonia plant
The launch was presided over by Mr. Raoul Restucci, PDO Managing Director. It showcased the custom-designed commissioning training program that already has over 40 Omani students enrolled, with plans to increase to 250 over the course of the program.
Mr Restucci said: “The creation of skilled jobs for Omani jobseekers is a key aim for PDO and a national priority for the Sultanate."
“As with many thousands of others who have been enrolled on our National Objectives programme, this latest batch of trainees will receive a comprehensive theoretical and practical grounding and be certified to international standards so that they can compete with the best in the world.”
Donal Dempsey, Country Manager, Oil & Gas, SNC-Lavalin, said “We are proud to be providing not just commissioning support services to PDO, but more importantly to be involved in training local Omanis to become highly skilled experts that can take their knowledge onto future projects. It is a very exciting time for Oman, and we are extremely pleased and supportive to be involved in building local capacity and capability.”